Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

George's at the Cove, La Jolla

Here we go finally a place worth blogging about!  Wanting to go out to eat somewhere nice we were contemplating where to go, Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, San Diego?  We settled on La Jolla and went to George's at the Cove.  During restaurant week this place caught my eye, but working nights I didn't have a chance to go.  Not wanting to "sit down" for dinner we went over to the bar.  This place has 3 floors, Ocean Terrace & Bistro, the Bar, and California Modern. Each floor had its own way of doing things.

A different concept but cool. 
We started with 2 of our favorite cocktails Sol a Hendrick's and Cucumber Martini and I enjoyed a Sidecar.  Mine was great, i sucked it down pretty fast.  I had a taste of  Sol's, she mentioned that the one at STK in NYC was better.  It was a  little tart and needed to be balanced a but by some bar syrup or Agave.


We started with a Charcuterie.  The Prosciutto (La Quercia) on the Charcuterie platter was probably the best of I have ever had. I'm not sure why, maybe because it was a bit thicker maybe not cured quite as long?  I don't know but it was tasty.  It also came with Pecorino cheese, typically hard and a bit tart.  This one on the other hand was much softer and slightly sweeter.  It's made from sheep's milk, fyi. The plate also came with a mustard fig compote.  It was good but it was chunks of fig with mustard seeds.  I think it could have been a bit better if it were more of a jelly with a bit more mustard.  Still over all a  very good plate of food!

Our other app was what our server called deconstructed bruschetta.  It had grilled bread, and a puree of butternut squash (very fall) and ricotta cheese.  On top of that was some goats cheese.   It was very smooth and a bit nutty.  Kinda tasted like pumpkin but it was super good.  It was very different and I am not sure that I would necessarily call it bruschetta but still, it was inventive.  But...where were the tomatoes?  According to my bible, wikipedia, it says Bruschetta is grilled bread rubbed with garlic, olive oil and can include various array of toppings.
We waited for a little wile before dinner I had a few Ballast Point IPA's (Brewery out of San Diego) and Sol had another a "New fashioned" rather than an Old Fashioned.  Eh.  We finally decided on dinner, and geez louise I have to say this kitchen puts out their food faster than McDonald's.  So when you order you'd better be ready to eat.

Even though we were at a seafood-ish restaurant I was in the mood for some beef.  But I thought better of it and ordered seafood.  Well kind of.  It was Garlic Roasted shrimp with Chorizo & Piquillo Pepper Risotto, roasted fennel and shaved almonds.

A nice looking dish, unfortunately you cant see the piquillo peppers and chorizo but they look exaclty the same.  This is a nice touch that good chefs excecute well.  The almond actually added some very nice crunch to the softness of the risotto.  Unfortunately...the risotto was WAY too soft, over cooked.  And ladies and gentlemen for the first time that I can remember I sent-it-back.  I had to it was in-edible and I might has well have burned money.  So after a while it returned cooked perfectly.  I felt bad but I've watched Hell's Kitchen for a long time and Chef always makes them taste the  risotto before they send it out.  So they either didn't taste it or didn't give a crap that it was over cooked and sent it out anyway.  It was a very well though out dish but it just didn't deliver.  Maybe it was too simple?  I'm used to risotto that's a bit more rich and this didn't have the flavor I was looking for. Oh well, can't win them all.  Risotto can be amazing but it really is hit or miss.


Sol ordered Sesame crusted Tombo, baby bok choy, oyster mushrooms, leek fondue, miso-soy vinaigrette


First of all what the F*&$ is Tombo?  Am I the only one who has never heard of this?  Guess it's a fish, actually its Tuna or albacore.  Who knew?  I just found that out right now so I guess I don't think its so crazy any more.  But why don't they just called it Ahi Tuna like every other place?  Anyways I tried a bit and like mine, it sounded good, it looked good but it just didn't blow me away.  I really wanted to love this place, but all in all it was good, i'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. 

We even wanted dessert, it looked good but decided against it.  I told Sol I think if our Entrees had been better I would have wanted to order one.  But that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I can't even think of a good conclusion to this blog.  I am either not inspired by this place or I'm rusty.  You decide...


George's California Modern on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment