Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Roach Coaches Evolved: The Lobsta Truck


Not a place I had originally planned on visiting but Sol brought it up.  And since I'm about to get hitched I figured I'd better start listening now.  That, and it sounded freaking good after doing some research.  Yes, it's true I research places to eat sometimes.  So what did I find out, they fly lobster (click previous link for more info about the lobster truck) in from Maine almost daily.  It brought me back to a memory when I saw people eating fresh caught lobster in Maine for super cheap.  It was on the Travel Channel or the Food Channel, you know one of those shows.   Sounds good right?  The funny thing is I'm not a big lobster buff like my lady.  BUT the idea of eating something fresh really gets me all hot and bothered.  So, off we went.

Saturday morning we woke up and checked facebook.  That or twitter is how you find out where the Lobsta' Truck is going to be, kinda' new age techy right?  It was about 5 miles away on Melrose Ave.  Didn't take us too long to get there, thank god, after the traffic the night before on our way to Mozza I was dreading it.

 
I drove right by it, I was expecting a giant red food truck.  What I found was three big trucks parked in line as if it was the new restaurant row.  A new fad that I had yet to discover.  I was a little disappointed that I was behind the times but also very excited that there was something new and exciting that I could explore.  Ssomething that didn't take dressing up, a 3 hour dinner, and $300.  On to the Lobsta' baby.

We arrived at the truck and the line only seemed to be maybe 8 people long.  I was relieved, I thought it might be anywhere from 20-40 people long after seeing all of the comments and press it had recently received.  I hate lines and I hate waiting.  Unfortunately my perception did not meet my reality, the line moved slow.   Once we ordered that process was even longer.  Apparently some cow ordered a bunch of Lobsta Rolls and more clam Chowda.  It wasn't just that they were slow.


Above you see the extensive menu of entrees.  They do only a few things and they do it well.  Unfortunately they were out of crab that day so we had our choice of a Lobsta Roll or Clam Chowder.  We made it a little interesting by getting two Lobsta Rolls one with butter and one with Mayo. 


 Finally they called us, bliss.  We pulled our food out of the window from the guy hunched over in the truck.  Added some salt and peppa and walked away with a smile on my face.  We settled into our proper table and chairs, the curb and our laps and took a bite.  The lobster was cold and the bun was warm and lightly toasted.  What I tasted was the freshest lobster I have ever had.  Soft and suculant, lightly buttered and seasoned.  I hope the picture depicts what it was.  Because it was wonderful, Sol is even sitting here trying to bite my toes because she thinks they are lumps of Lobsta.  Seriously, though, awesomeness.  The butter was better than the mayo.  I think the mayo masked the freshness a little much, but that one was still good.  The soup was a little watery, but flavor wasn't bad.  Overall this was a very pleasant experience and when in LA next time i will definetly go a little out of my way for this.

I hope the Lobsta Truck comes to San Diego soon because I will be there waiting in line again. 

Lobsta Truck on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment