Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A new spot in my new home town: Lumberyard Tavern & Grill - Encinitas, CA

So, a little tired of hotel food, Giorgio and I decided to get out and wander around.  I wanted to go check out the downtown Encinitas area , it's a little beach town with shops and restaurants a block or so from the beach.  It was very appealing coming from Dallas, a city littered with good eats.

We were trying to decide between Sushi and this Lumberyard Tavern that jumped out at us last minute across the parking lot.  Giorgio wanted ribs and it appeared to be my kinda place so we went on in.  We decided to take a seat at the bar, great draft selection, a lot of local brews...I went with a good 'ol IPA, Big Eye IPA to be exact, by Ballast Point Brewing.  Very good I might say.

For dinner I ordered a Pulled Pork Sandwich, with a classic Carolina Bar b Que sauce with my choice of a side.  I decided on sweet potato .  The sandwich arrived piping hot the fries as well.  Nice simple presentation.  The meat was well tossed in sauce much more so than it looks, but not over-ly drenched - just right, like the third porridge in Goldilocks and the three bears.  It had a little kick to it the kind that adds flavor.  Bun was hot and soft, pork was moist.

The fries were not quite sweet enough, they were dusted in sea salt which added nice flavor but not the sweet potato fries I was looking for.  Overall I would give the dish an 8.  Definitely worth going back.  Service from the bartender was good and atmosphere was awesome, right up my alley.  Lots of flat screens, lots of wood, beachy style, and a very relaxed feel.  Definitely somewhere to go watch football or have a couple beers after work.  I was very pleased to find such a great place so close to our new place, maybe 3 miles max.  If you live in North County or live in SD but want to do something different I'd say its worth the drive.

Cool Beach Town_Great selection_Great flavor

Lumberyard Tavern and Grill on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Nice, new design! I like that you got away from the black, it was a little hard to read. This is neat, clean and really easy to read! Looking forward to more Cali reviews!

    ReplyDelete