Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Mission Brewery's Shipwrecked Double IPA

I saw this at Vons tonight and just couldn't pass it up.  That and the Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA.  But this I knew would be something special.  Mission Brewery seems to be blowing up right now.  Not only do they have cool labels but cool names for beer.  Some of my favorite beers have the best names, Raging Bitch, Dead Guy, and pretty much everything from Lagunitas.
Let's get to the beer though.  How smooth and non-bitter can a a double IPA be?  Try this one to find out.  The only other Double IPA better than this was a taste of Hangar 24's Double IPA out of Redlands, CA.   It's got that bitter flavor that us hop heads love but that drinkability that college kids enjoy on a nightly basis.  I will say though after a few sips it hits the pit of your stomach and you can feel its whopping 9.25% ABV. Its a good beer medium amber in color a bit hazy similar to an unfiltered beer but not quite.  If you're in the mood for something special pick this up at your nearest Vons. 

After one of these and a couple Dogfish heads I decided to put the pre-maid Bobili Dough I bought at the store to use.  Sure that I already had pizza sauce at home I didn't bother to buy any at the store.

To my chagrin I didn't and had to make it from scratch.  I must say I surprised myself and my wife for that matter.  It was great.  Sweet, tangy and spicy.  Can't tell you the recipe, I'm going to patent it.

For those avid  beer drinkers enjoy this Double IPA and for those novice beer drinkers don't be scared.  There is only one way to expand your palate.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment