Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Don't let French Food Scare You: Blue Boheme

Well hello there ladies and gentlemen, it has been a while hasn't it? Some of you might be wondering where I have been, and why I haven't been blogging. Too busy? Too much time? No Inspiration? All of the above. But due to people still mentioning my ever-famous (I say this in jest)blog a few years later I have decided to reprise it if only for today, though I will try to continue to post about the restaurants deserving of what little time I have. So where did I go you ask? What is bringing me back to the blogosphere? Blue Boheme, I have no idea what that means in French but I'll look it up by the end of this blog.

Back on March 2nd, my birthday, Sol and I got a call telling us the offer on our first house was accepted. Great news and we moved back down to San Diego. One of the reasons we were so excited to move back down was because there was an ample amount of restaurants of various cuisines that didn't close at 9 or 10 pm like Encinitas and the rest of North County. One of the restaurants we happened upon was the Blue Boheme, a French restaurant that seemed to have good reviews. I had never been to a French restaurant and had always heard people talk about how good they were, so on we went. It was a great experience which led us there again last night. Particularly because our two choices before that were closed on Mondays, a typical day off for some of the restaurant world.

I got off of work and met my wife there, I started with a Shipwrecked Double IPA one of my favorites. From there we scoured the menu looking for something a whet our appetite. Neither of us wanting a huge heavy meal we opted for some lighter options and went with 3 plates to share. The first thing we ordered was Les Moules Frites, Black Mussels with French Fries, which you could get prepared six different ways. We Chose, "à la Crème d’Ail", roasted garlic cream, shallots, and white wine. It was phenomenal, some of the best mussels I have ever had. I typically don't order mussels because I feel as if most restaurants prepare them in a very similar manner.
Here they were a perfect size, not too briny and took on just enough of the flavor of the broth they sat in. On the side were the OG french fries also known as Pommes Frites. Thin cut, fresh, crunchy and scrumptious. Did I mention you can get these mussels in a 1 or 2 pound portion? The one pound was ample for the two of us as we were having french style tapas, I just coined that phrase by the way.

Next up we had, "gnocchi à la Parisienne", parmesan dumplings, brussel sprouts, smoked duck bacon, white wine sauce. Phenomenal. For you those of you who have not had the pleasure of having good gnocchi, I am truly sorry. It is one of my favorite dishes when done right, and boy did they do it right. Gnocchi (pronounced n-yo kee), is a small dumpling, a bit thick and almost doughy. The bitterness from the brussel sprouts were a nice contrast to the richness of the cheese and dumplings and the duck bacon which was outrageous in the first place, added some salt.

Our last course we had a simple meat and cheese plate otherwise called, "La Planche Dégustation", a sampling of all the fromage(cheese) and charcuterie selections.  "La Charcuterie", prosciutto, garlic sausage, rosette de Lyon, smoked duck breast, wild boar salami, Spanish chorizo, pickled vegetables, olives, Dijon and "Les Fromages" imported French cheeses with a fig terrine and fresh honeycomb, Tomme de Savoie – Tete de Moine - Bucheron – Saint André - Bleu d’Auvergne (raw-cow’s milk) (raw-cow’s milk) (semi-aged goat) (triple cream-cow) (cow’s milk).
The cheese was all amazing, different smells and flavors. The accompaniments were great as well and so was the presentation as you can see below. The one thing in the meal I was slightly disappointed in was the cured meats. None of them really delighted me per se which was a bit of a let down considering Europeans do cured meats so well. All in all another fantastic meal from the Blue Boheme and I would go back and recommend it in a heart beat.
Bleu Boheme on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment