Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Sunday, July 13, 2014

South Beach in OB, all about the Beer

After a hard weeks work I went out for a few drinks with my co-workers to celebrate the fact that it was Friday. Did I mention we all work in hospitality and we all had to be back to work the next day?  That's besides the point, we typically go to the same establishment and wanted to change it up.  I had been to South Beach in OB (Ocean Beach, San Diego) last year and I remember it being good so we decided on that.

It took me about 20 minutes to drive 3 miles through all of the beach traffic, then another 10 minutes to find parking.  Let's just say by the time I walked in I was thirsty.  They had a great beer list, and I started off with my new favorite beer, Ruin-ten by Stone.  It's a rip off Ruination, with a whopping 10.8% ABV.  For those of you that know me, you know I like my IPA's and more than that my Double IPA's.  Most restaurants that know their beer, won't serve a 16oz beer if the ABV is over 8%. There are a few restaurateurs that don't know what they're doing that serve it in a pint glass and charge the same as they do for a Coors Light, TAKE ADVANTAGE of those idiots.  If you know your shit, you can spot deals when you go out even if its not happy hour.

Next, I had the Sock Knocker by Coronado, a double IPA, who I must say has really stepped up their game in the last four years.  When I first moved back to the Deezy, I was very disappointed in their selection.  They have one of the premier names in San Diego, Coronado, yet their beer was very pedestrian.  Back to the Sock Knocker, it was delicious, I have found that Double IPA's seem to be much smoother than the traditional hoppy IPA's you find regularly.

By this time, I needed to tone it down, so I went for the Grunion Pale Ale by Ballast Point, a mere 5.5%.  I'd had this before and it was solid, but after the two palate wreckers I had just consumed this was plain weaksauce.  I ditched it and had one more Ruin Ten and called it a day.

There were a few more beers I would have liked to taste, however, I was very happy to find some unique beers on tap, as most places in San Diego tend to carry the same beers.  We had a few appetizers but nothing to write home about, sub par on the food for sure.  My colleagues all had fish tacos though and said they were great, they loved the mahi.  So at the end of the day, if you want a great beer selection and some good fish tacos, head to OB at the end of Newport on the left you will find South Beach.

P.S. they have a killer view if you get the right seat on the second floor

No comments:

Post a Comment