Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Sunday, March 7, 2010

NYC Part 3 of 4: Quality Meats & S3

As I stated before we were originally supposed to go to a steakhouse in the meat packing district called STK but had to cancel due to our flights getting canceled and losing our luggage, etc. Believe it or not there are 2 good parts to that: 1) We found a great place to go instead 2) We went our last night anyway and had great drinks and an app that was to DIE FOR. I'll get to that in part 4.

Per another recommendation from the concierge we decided on "Quality Meats" not even a block south of snow covered Central Park where I had just proposed to my girlfriend. Good news is she she said yes so honestly anything was going to taste good at that point, but let me tell you...it was outstanding, especially for a last minute reservation in New York.

We started with a comp bottle of sparkling wine as a congratulations from the restaurant (thanks QM!!!) We started with with Seared Diver Scallops that sat in a light cream sauce with candied walnuts & grapes that added a nice salty and sweet combo. We also ordered a Crab Cake with HUGE lumps of crab that came with what tasted almost like a Tabasco red pepper sauce for dipping (see picture below). Home Run on the apps.


For our main course we decided to do something different, well different for us, and get the porterhouse for two, we are both normally filet all the way. As usual the filet side was great, tender and flavorful, you can't go wrong when the beef is aged (right Josh?). Any-who, the sirloin side though full of flavor just gad too many of those un-chewable strands of gristle; halfway through is when we ditched and devoured the better half. Overall, I'd still give the steak a B+. Our side items were scrumptious as well, a Sweet Corn Creme Brule if you can imagine that. I actually considered ordering a second helping of this because it was so good, thank you ELSA. Our other side was Gnocchi and Cheese, it was sort of a play on mac n' cheese, just what I had hoped for. It had a nice crusted top from the broiler and a creamy flavor, the contrast was a delight. I have to say the side dishes almost over shadowed the meat, but I am a carnivore at heart so no matter how good the sides are, the meat will always have my heart. On to the next question, "Would you care for any dessert tonight?" We decided to fore go dessert at Quality Meats and hit Serendipity, something I'd later regret.

I know what you're thinking, "it's so trendy, why there?"...but it was where my new fiancee' wanted to go and who was I to argue? I might as well get used to being agreeable. We ordered a frozen hot chocolate and a Forbidden Broadway Sundae - chocolate Blackout cake, ice cream, hot fudge topped with whipped cream - ate way too much of that.

The one good decision I made aside from finally putting a halt to my food intake was to walk the 20 blocks home. It seemed like a good idea...to walk off some of the binging I had just par-taken in; unfortunately for me it didn't work. I have never eaten so much in my life, I thought I was on an episode of Man vs. Food - and food definitely won this battle. But let me tell you, I put up one helluva fight.

Quality Meats: Aged Beef_Amazing sides_Killer Apps!

Quality Meats on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment