Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Flying Dog...What?

As Sol and I were perusing the aisles at the grocery store the other day we came to the beer section...Mmmmm.  We were picking up a twelver of Dos Equis for the seis de Mayo cookout when a colorful box jumped out at me.  It was Flying Dog, something I had tried at Hector's on Henderson, a favorite local restaurant of mine and Sol's.  On Thursday's they have a happy hour on all of their beers.  And they have a GREAT selection that is constantly rotating.  Anywho, I have been looking at adding some beers at work and the brewery based out of Maryland caught my eye again.

It was Mixed pack, as you can see from the picture.  A beer lovers dream. 
In it was:
Their classic Doggie Style Pale Ale
In Heat Wheat Hefewiezen
Old Scratch Amber Lager
Road Dog Porter
Tire Bite Golden Ale
Snake Dog IPA

They also threw in a 6-pack of their seasonal Woody Creek White Belgian Wit. 

One of the things I like about this brand is their edginess.  They just put out a 20 year anniversary ale called - "Raging Bitch Belgian IPA".  Who does that?  They do I guess and I like it.  The only other brewery that dabbles with that right and wrong line that I can think of is Stone Brewing out of California; they have a beer called Arrogant Bastard.  They too make very good beer.  I guess when you have a good product you can market it a little differently.  Which is a good thing, I think.  One of the navigation links on their website says "Good Beer, No Shit".  Flying Dog has different labels and cool photos, they use bright colors that grab you attention.  Why wouldn't you want to drink this beer?

All I have to say is I will be enjoying this smorgasbord.  I more than likely will not write about all of them but will pick a few.  Or maybe give you my favorites in order.  Not sure yet.  Anyone out there tried Flying Dog?

2 comments:

  1. Have you had the pleasure of drinking Moose Drool, Flat Tire, or perhaps Red Hook? If your interested in consuming some Pacific Northwest treasures, let Kenny know and maybe we can contravan a few bottles into our suitcase for our trip to Dallas in a few weeks. We would love to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Red Hook, Had Moose Drool at one of our rival hotels - didn't think it was great and I have had Fat Tire but not Flat Tire...Thanks for the offer I always love suggestions!

    ReplyDelete