Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Monday, April 12, 2010

Kulmbacher Eisbock: The Original Eisbock

To start off I want to apologize. I know the title is, "Anthony's Food, BEER, & Cocktail Adventures". I haven't stayed very true to my name (other than my previous about the Hef from Gordon Biersch). But I am redirecting myself, so here my friends is a blog about a little known beer called: Eisbock.
Pronounced "Ice-Bock", this beer originated in Germany, by ACCIDENT. The story on the label says a wooden barrel was left out in the brewery yard in the dead of winter. When it was found the ice crystals were removed concentrating the color and flavor. My favorite part, its about 9.2% ABV. In layman's terms that means: 1 Eisbock=2.2 bud lights.
My take: it is very dark in color. When held up to the light it is a maroon color with a touch of dark red. It is very dense or thick compared to normal beer, which makes sense since it essentially had some of the water(ice) removed. It has a sweet finish. I am actually drinking my first one as I am writing this blog. I put it in my frozen Bubba Gump Pilsner glass from Maui...another fact, for those that are not AVID beer drinkers (not that I am) is that the flavor is best sampled out of a glass so that it can reach your full palate.

Not much else to say....Kulmbacher is "The original German Eisbock". Some of my more loyal readers probably recognize the name from one of my previous blogs about The Usual.

1 comment:

  1. if you like dark beers, you'll lover "kostritzer black". You can find it a alcohol specialty stores like Bevmo, or for us in Vegas, Lee's Liquor.

    ReplyDelete