Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Broken Yolk Cafe

The tag line is, "We've Got Huevos".  Pretty corny, I know - but don't judge a book by its cover.  The last time I went to the Broken Yolk was about 4 years ago in PB at this run down place that everyone always raves about.  What do I remember from that experience?  Nothing.

Now I am back in San Diego County and I see a Broken Yolk on my way to work, so obviously they've taken their name and branched out.  You can tell by the menu cover alone its been commercialized.  Only really really good places can afford to grow their brand.  Some don't, to keep their integrity but for others, it's all about the benjamins baby!  Needless to say I had to try it once more to see if it could give me something to remember, there is a lot of power in word of mouth, that's what sent me back.

The Broken Yolk caught me on a good day because I was hungry and I had been CRAVING a good breakfast for quite some time.  So I ordered everything but the kitchen sink.  I used to like to eat a lot of sausage, mmmmm let me re-phrase that; sausage used to be my breakfast meat of choice, yea that sounds better.  I went with a basic breakfast: ham, eggs, breakfast potatoes (not hash browns), biscuit (I added a side of gravy) and I added a single pancake.  I can assure you all that this is not a normal breakfast for me.  But for some reason today I wanted to try, well, everything.

I'll start with the potatoes, you can tell a good breakfast place by their house "home fries" or "breakfast potatoes".  They were thinly sliced and they were browned perfectly, not burnt just perfectly cooked.  Crunchy but soft.

Next, I ordered my eggs cooked "over easy".  I have learned that all breakfast places over cook their eggs so I order "over easy" and I get "over medium", how i really like them.  Annnnnnd it worked.

Biscuits and Gravy used to be another favorite of mine, if it was on the menu, I ordered it.  So in honor of the olden days I ordered the biscuit instead of toast - I'm gonna stop right here.  Do you see the size of that biscuit?  Wow.  Anyways, gravy came on the side.  I could tell it was gonna be good right away because it didn't look like peppered white country gravy.  Nothing against that but at the end of the day it more less all tastes the same.  In fact I think that is the reason I stopped ordering it, could never find anything that stood out.  This was a yellowish, chunky, flavorful, and oh so good gravy.  It is a must try, it gave the biscuit that extra moistness that it needed.

The ham was what it should gave been, salty, meaty and good.  Could have been thicker but everything else was so good I didn't even think about it until now.  The pancake was nothing more than an afterthought, a sweet something to end my meal.  I maybe ate half.  With a few bites left on my main plate I gave in, I couldn't finish.   But I was content, very content, it was a great meal, one that I'd been yearning for.  And it was everything I had hoped for...and more.

Biscuits_and_Gravy

Give it a try and let me know what you think! 




Broken Yolk on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. We ate there this weekend, twice. We enjoyed it both times. The breakfast burrito was great.

    ReplyDelete