Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Mighty Fine Burger

While visiting my dad out in Austin he took me to a damn good burger place.  It was called Mighty Fine Burgers.  I highly recommend you visit the website, my camera could not do the establishment justice so I didn't even try. 

The outside was very inviting with covered patio seating and a playground for kids, not a McDonald's playground but a real one with sand and all.  We walked in and there was mayo, mustard and ketchup stacked in neat rows for both decor and use.  There were also boxes of potatoes waiting to be used with the peanut oil it was fried in also stacked in rows.  All of the ingredients they used to cook were in the front of the house being used as decoration, it was awesome.  So simple yet creative.  All of the colors gave this place a radiant vibe.  There was also a see through window where you could see people creating the burger patties and prepping them for cookin'.  Also, there was a sign that said the meat was ground on property...I think they just one upped In 'N Out.  If you do check out their website go to Quality is Everything and check  out the meat portion.  Also by the fries there is a large sign that says, WE USE PEANUT OIL...odd...right?  Well according to them it tastes best.  Also on the Quality is Everything page.

So my eyes had a party now it was time for my mouth.    They are very make it your way and hand write your order on a paper bag so you can see it.  You also can see that what it is they are writing to give you that comfort you need that they WILL get your order right.  A nice customer touch in my opinion. 

The soda machine was awesome, that's a weird thing to say right?  Well first off they had two, with about 10 choices each.  Who do you know that has a selection of 20 fountain sodas?  Next one of those choices was Mellow Yellow, say "I" if you remember that pop.  On top of that when was the last time you actually saw it?  For us youngsters who have probably never seen it is kind of like the short lived "Surge" that was around for MAYBE 2 years back in the late '90's.  Next part of the cool soda machine is it had a high-tech looking option for crushed or cubed ice.  Pretty sweet eh?  Maybe I'm over reacting but some times its the little things in life.  Nice touches make a place like this stand out from the rest.

My order:

Chili Cheeseburger  - A great burger establishment can be judged by their chili in my opinion.
Fries
Strawberry lemonade (it was on display, how could I not)

I unwrapped my prize and it looked wonderful.  I opened up the bun to see what the inside looked like (pictured to the right), and to my surprise there was a sliced hot dog in there.  I wasn't mad because being the chili conasuir that I am, I know hot dogs and chili go together like Lavern and Shirly.  It would only add to the flavor.  I put it back together and held on with both hands, elbows on the table and shoved it in.  Tender patty, lots of cheese (the key to any good burger), and the bun was fresh and soft.  After another couple bites and I thought to myself, this might be one of the best I've ever had.  I had some fries in between bites, they were great too.  Very fresh tasting, and thinking back to the boxes of potatoes by the counter I knew they were.  Holy crap how have I never been here.  Every other bite of the burger I got some hot dog, yum.  That definitely set this burger apart from any other I'd ever had.  Overall I was very suprised.  I asked my dad how he found this place and he said it was my cousin, DR.  Another place he was holding out on me...

I just might go back as soon as I possibly can.

Best_Burger_Ever 

Mighty Fine Burgers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment