Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Friday, August 27, 2010

Chicken & Waffles?

Unless y'all live in a hole, I am sure that you have heard of Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles at one time or another.  Or at the very least you have heard of Chicken and Waffles, right?  Well since I became a foodie I realized that I needed to go out of my way to get to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle House.  Now I didn't make it up to Hollywood to the original but does anyone go to the original McDonalds - no.  That being said I was okay with this decision.

Myself, Sol, her brother and her niece went on over to Long Beach other wise known as the LBC.  Unfortunately, I forgot my phone which had GPS so we didn't know where it was.  Seriously, what did people do before technology?  I was secretly having a panic attack worried that someone would say, "lets just go some where else."  Jun, Sol's brother, gave me his phone and I fumbled around trying to figure out how to use it, after a few minutes I still couldn't figure it out.  I felt a lump forming in my throat, we were getting closer and I couldn't get it done then...success.  A few minutes later I was shitting myself because my phone also had my camera and I couldn't take pictures.  What fun is a blog with no pictures??  Sol had her 3.2 mp camera on her phone but I knew that wouldn't do the trick.  Luckily since we'd been searching for a wedding venue she had her real camera in her purse.  Pfew, disaster averted.

Didn't take long to figure out what we wanted...ummmm....chicken and waffles - duh.  In general though the menu consisted of traditional southern/soul food: red beans and rice, mac n cheese, etc.  We all ordered the "Scoe's #1" - two waffles, and 1/4 chicken.  As you can see below it was pretty straight forward.  I was a little scared to try to down two waffles but being the persistent son of a bitch I am - I gave it a try.



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Did you really have any doubt?  They gave me plenty of butter, plenty of syrup and a fork and a knife.  Of course I finished it.  In all seriousness though the waffle was pretty amazing.  It tasted like maybe it had a hint of nutmeg as the secret ingredient.  The waffles had a slight crunch but were soft and fluffy.  The syrup was damn good and the butter was plentiful.  I love butter that is easy to spread...its the little things in life you know?  How many times do you get cold hard butter and when you go to spread it on your waffle/toast/pancake it breaks it or tears it.  Temper you butter restaurants!!!  Back to the waffle, something about it made it utterly fantastic.  Maybe it was that I was destined to eat here my entire life and my life's work was now complete...or they had a good recipe.  The chicken was good, i'd say a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10.  It was cooked right but I was expecting the flavor of the skin to be a little....better?  I mean chicken is in the name of this restaurant so naturally I would think the fried chicken is where its at.  Again it wasn't bad it just didn't blow my mind.  Overall still loved and would go back in a heart beat.

Chicken and Waffles I think is the original Salty & Sweet meld of flavors that is so trendy right now.  Throw some Louisiana hot sauce on there and you really spice up this combo.  Maybe its where Bobby Flay got his Spicy n' Sweet flavor combo.  Either way all the flavors flow together in a river of goodness arousing every part of your palate.  Way to go Roscoe, Way to go...


Salty_Sweet_Spicy

Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment