Meat n' potato kinda guy san diego restaurants

Saturday, August 28, 2010

What is a "sope"?

Pronounced "so-pay" according to wikipedia a sope : at first sight looks like an unusually thick tortilla with vegetables and meat toppings. The base is made from a circle of fried masa of ground maize soaked in lime (also used as the basis for tamales and tortillas) with pinched sides. This is then topped with refried beans and crumbled cheese, lettuce, onions, red or green sauce (salsa, made with chiles or tomatillos respectively), and acidified cream.

That's not a very appetizing description is it?  Just out of curiosity how many of you actually knew what that was?  Anywho - after another day of venue shopping I was starving come lunch time.  After visiting the Museum of Latin American Art we asked them where a good taco shop was (in Long Beach where we were). Go figure they would know where a good place to eat would be.  The security guard pointed us down the street which just so happened to be on the way to the next place we went to go see, perfect.

After a passing a couple of scenes that looked like they were straight outta Training Day we arrived at Taqueria la Mexicana.  A hole in the wall with a little window to order from that had gated seating with  overflowing trash cans and flies pestering anyone tyring to eat....yum.

I like my San Diego burritos so I wasn't going to mess with ordering one of those, I took a gander at the menu and my eyes landed on the sopes.  I love me some sopes.  Ever since I heard my pledge bro talk about 'em back in the day (shout out to dizzle!).  If I remember right that's his favorite food, and its right there on the top f my list too.  I will say right off the bat that Tacos El Gordo in National City has the best sopes you can find, those of you that live in San Diego know whats up.  If you live in San Diego and haven't been to Tacos El Gordo you are missing out!!!  Back to this venture.

I ordered my so-pays without lettuce and tomato, I'm not really a fan of L & T on my Mexican food.  I feel like it takes away from the REAL flavors of the beans, meat and anything else that was cooked in something delicious.  Lets face it, the taco shop on the corner isn't exactly using high quality lechuga y tomate so there isn't going to be a whole lot of flavor in it.  Just a personal preference, don't hate. 

What's this blog about anyways?  Lettuce, tomato, another taco shop, the definition of a Mexican delight...oh yeah our trip to La Mexicana.

We ordered, both got horchata ( see my blog about carne asada fries if you forgot what horchata is).  Waited 5-10 minutes, and our food arrived.  It looked amazing and tasted even better.  I eat mine like a tostada but one could eat it with a fork and a knife I suppose.  I lifted it up and took a bite and the flavors rushed into my mouth hitting all parts of my tongue: spicy, salty, sweet.  "MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm", I sighed.  The beans were flavorful, the meat was salty and their house made salsa had a good little kick to it.  The kind that makes your nose run.  Every bite was like a party in my mouth.  The sope itself was crunchy but soft and chewy, freshly made.  I want one again right now.  The sour cream was oozing off the sides, you had to catch it with your mouth before it fell off.  I was so mesmerized I didn't even see any flies. 

I was full and ready to move on to the next wedding venue.  Nothing better than finding a delightful hole in the wall right in the middle of somewhere you'd never expect.  Remember if you're hungry and in an unfamiliar area ask the locals where to go.  If you don't believe them, then take your ass to Burger King and don't ask next time.

Chewy_Crunchy_Greasy

Taqueria la Mexicana on Urbanspoon

1 comment: